My mom used to make french onion soup when I lived at home and it was so good. Whenever I ordered it at various restaurants, it never tastes as good and who knows what they put in there! When I asked her for the recipe, I could ‘t believe how easy it was to make myself! Now I always make it and have added a few of with my own special ingredients. My family enjoys it, too! (Although, my kids don’t enjoy the pieces of onions, so I serve theirs without them.) I hope you enjoy it, too!
Mom’s French Onion Soup
- 2 TBS butter (I use Kerrygold)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 32 ounces of broth (I use Pacific organic beef or vegetable broth)
- 4 tsp bragg liquid aminos or salt to taste
- 3 tsp worcestershire (I like Annie’s vegan Worcestershire)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast* (this is optional, but so delicious and good for you)
- 1 heaping tsp of miso* (optional, but so good for you)
- Piece of bread* (if desired. I used 1/4 of a whole wheat bagel.)
- Provolone cheese* (this is optional, but a nice added touch. Buy organic if possible.)
- Sauté the first three ingredients in your pot.
- Add the next three ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for thirty minutes.
- Add remaining two ingredients if using. If you use miso, make sure not to let the soup boil after it is added as I have read that boiling destroys some of its’ beneficial properties.
- Add the bread to the individual bowls (if you are using it).
- If you are using cheese, slice it and put it on top of the soup. Melt it in the oven.
Total cook time: 1 hour Serves: 6
You can make it in fun little mugs, too!
This is what it looks like inside the cheesy top. Do you have any favorite soup recipes? I would love to hear them!
If you enjoyed this and would like to hear more, please subscribe (on the middle right sidebar) to get our SATZ newsletters. To stay connected with Sharing A to Z, please see Facebook or Pinterest.
I love French Onion Soup and this is a fabulous recipe! Thank you for linking up to the Oh My Heartsie Girls Wordless Wednesday Linky Party!
Wishing you a fabulous week!
Thanks for linking up to Oh My Heartsie Girl WW
I was just thinking I had too many onions and that I needed to make French Onion soup!! thank you for this 🙂
Thanks for sharing at the Home Matters LInky Party this week!