Have you heard of Wedding soup? Growing up near Youngstown, Ohio, where Italian Wedding Soup is very popular, we had a chance to taste many versions and create our favorite! This is one of my favorite recipes from childhood. When my aunt married into an Italian family, they helped us perfect the croutons, which make the soup so extra delicious! I hope you like it!
- 1 organic whole chicken
- 1 lb. lean organic ground beef (or pork)
- 1 head of endive (cleaned and cut)
- 1/4 cup (plus a dash more) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (plus a dash more) parmesan cheese
- salt – to taste
- Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water.
- Cook on high until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least two hours.
- Salt to taste.
- In a bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs and cheese. Mix. (A picture showing the consistency is below.)
- Form into little meat balls. (A picture showing the size is below.)
- Take the chicken out (when cooked). Let cool and de-bone.
- Place meatballs and chicken back into the pan.
- Add endive and 1/4th of croutons (recipe below).
- Simmer at least 30 minutes
This is the consistency you would like in the meat balls.
This is the size of the meat balls (and our cat). They taste better smaller.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Wisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Mix the three ingredients (be sure to get the lumps out) and spread on a lightly greased cookie sheet with edges or a glass pan. (The consistency is shown in the picture above.)
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until it springs back when you press on it.
- Let it cool and cut into cubes.
- Add 1/4 of the croutons to the soup.
- Right before eating, add croutons to your bowl and top with the soup.
Do you have a recipe that is popular where you live? Please leave it in the comments below or on social media! Please also share this with someone who may enjoy it, too!
All my best,
If you enjoyed this and would like to hear more, please subscribe (on the middle right sidebar) to get our SATZ newsletters. To stay connected with Sharing A to Z, please see our Facebook or Pinterest pages! I look forward to connecting with you! Thank you!